Our trip started at 4:30 AM on Thursday morning (Feb. 5th). It took us 10 hours to get to there. We arrived in Steamboat at about 1:30pm. Once we were all settled in our condo, we went up to the mountain to rent our skis, etc. and get every squared away for ski school the next morning. Kayla and I were taking the school, since neither one of us had ever skied before. This was also Kevin's first time skiing, but he didn't think he needed to go to school.
Waiting for a shuttle to take up to the ski resort
Some of the ski slopes. To me these looked pretty intimidating, but I found out that those most visible ones were blacks.
Hanging out in our condo. We were tired from the early morning and long drive so we just stayed in this evening. We grilled steaks and...
sat in the hot tub.
All decked out in our ski gear Friday morning
Having lunch
The ski school was located in that little corral in the middle of the picture. I am so glad that we decided that we were going to take ski lessons. I actually learned a lot, but there is only so much that an uncoordinated person such as I can do. I only actually feel down twice. I first was because someone ran into me, and the second time, well I'm just that bad. When Kayla and I met back up with the guys for lunch we found out that Kevin fell and hurt his knee pretty bad. So that was the extend of his skiing for this trip.
Kayla and Wade in their Chief's ski gear
The view out the back door of the condo. It was such a nice place to stay!!
Waiting to get on the gondola
Friday night we went to the top of the mountain to have supper. First we took the gondola up as far as that would go and then, we took a sleigh ride up to the top. It was really cool. That may have been the best part of the trip in my opinion. As for the rest of them, I don't think they cared for it too much. I don't think they minded the sleigh ride, but they didn't like the food. It was a five course meal, and those of you that know me, know I like food. So I thought it was great. First we had the appetizer plate, which had cheeses, shrimp, salmon, ham, crackers and liver pate. Then we had salad and it came with a lot of things we normally wouldn't see on a salad around here. I think I was the only one that ate it. Then we had soup. Then we had a choice of about 8 entrees. I choose the duck & the rest of them choose the fillet. Kevin and Wade were a little disappointed in the portion size of the entree. If they had eaten the previous 3 courses I think it would have been fine. Then they brought out dessert. That was the best part. It was a plate that had 4 little desserts on it. We each got baklava, tiramisu, a berry tart, and a petit four. It was delicious!!
Riding in the sleigh
It got a lot colder as we went up the mountain. On the way down, it started to snow.

On Saturday, since Kevin wasn't going to ski, I decided to hang out with him. We made plans to go downtown and check out some of the shops. Well Kayla and Wade decide to join us instead of skiing another day. There were a lot of people downtown because the winter carnival was going on. I guess it is a yearly celebration. While we were down there, we were able to watch one of the activities. They pull skiers behind horses and have to do different activities, like move in and out of cones and put a ring around something. These were just little kids and those horses pulled them pretty fast.
On Saturday, since Kevin wasn't going to ski, I decided to hang out with him. We made plans to go downtown and check out some of the shops. Well Kayla and Wade decide to join us instead of skiing another day. There were a lot of people downtown because the winter carnival was going on. I guess it is a yearly celebration. While we were down there, we were able to watch one of the activities. They pull skiers behind horses and have to do different activities, like move in and out of cones and put a ring around something. These were just little kids and those horses pulled them pretty fast.
On Saturday night, we had plans to go up the mountain to a natural hot spring. It was definitely an interesting experience. First the ride up there was pretty scary. It seemed like the guy that drove us up there was going as fast as he possibly could on those little winding mountain roads. Once we got up there it was practically pitch black, there were two large hot tubs and a couple of smaller ones. There were a lot of people up there too. Not that it was a bad time up there, but I don't think we will be going back to one of those.
We headed for home on Sunday morning. It was another long ride. We got home about 9:30 Sunday night.
It was a great little vacation, but I was sure glad to be home. Tyson, Kellen & Cooper were sure glad to see us, but not as much as I was to see them.



No comments:
Post a Comment